Business Technology | Culture | Productivity
Not every employee is enthusiastic at the start of each new workday, but if you find that a consistent lack of enthusiasm is leading to low productivity, you may have engagement issues.
Employee engagement refers to an individual’s involvement and satisfaction with his or her work. Engaged employees are emotionally connected to one another and to their work. They are better able to relate to the direction of the company and feel that their roles contribute to the organization’s momentum.
Engaged employees are more productive and profitable, but only 30% of the workforce is actually engaged. What are some contributing factors, and what should you do to improve employee engagement in the workplace?
Happy employees are better at their work. We popularly believe that hard work and success make us happy, yet Harvard psychology research reveals that happiness brings us success. Employees are responsible for owning their own happiness. If you aren’t happy doing what you’re doing, you may need to look internally and take control of your situation and attitude.
According to another statistic, only 25% of job success is based on IQ, while the other 75% is based on our beliefs, connectedness to others and ability to manage stress.
Positivity impacts the brain significantly. Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage, found that positivity, or optimism, is the leading predictor of success in entrepreneurs and business leaders because they perceive more opportunities in the midst of challenges.
In many instances, leaders are in a prime position to lead by example. Exude the attitude you would want your employees to possess. Influence the attitudes of those around you. Positivity is contagious.
Leadership sets the tone for company culture. Leaders are able to influence, produce change and motivate teams. The most effective leaders help employees see the value in their work and how it aligns with business goals and the direction of the company.
When the workplace becomes emotionally charged due to anxieties and unforeseen challenges, management has the ability to address the situation and curb potential conflict. If management is unable to calm employee anxieties and help teams refocus on the work, well … who will?
According to a study conducted by Cornerstone OnDemand and research firm Kelton, the top reason why employees stay in their current positions – aside from compensation and benefits – is “a good manager I enjoy working for.” Positive attitudes in management impact not only employee engagement, but also retention numbers.
Sickness and other health issues are a drain on employee productivity. Sick employees tend to call out for fear of infecting coworkers or simply because they feel more comfortable at home.
Tired employees also cost you productivity and money. In fact, fatigue carries estimated losses of more than $136 billion in lost profit, and 84% of the cost is not related to reduced productivity over a sick-related absence.
A remote workplace policy helps alleviate some of these concerns and encourages employees to work when and where they feel most effective. When implemented correctly, remote employees are likely to be as connected and engaged as those who work consistently in the office.
No matter how positive and engaged your employees are, they may remain unproductive without the right technology.
For example, a sales team in its early stages keeps track of leads using a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, while a growing sales team needs a more sophisticated system – like CRM software [link to CRM post]– to manage the sales cycle and leads as they mature. Plus, ease of use through advanced technology keeps employees engaged, while outdated systems and redundant or tedious processes only lead to frustration.
The positive attributes of smart employees are enhanced by the right technology. Look into current processes and see how they might be improved through a technology upgrade. The productivity of your employees and your overall business stand to benefit.
Because employees feel more engaged when connected, collaboration has been linked to productivity and positivity. Employees who collaborate develop a better sense of how their input and roles play into the company structure. Create a culture that values input from everyone.
Without the proper culture, engagement spirals out of control. Culture – along with collaboration – increases connectedness, and employees who feel outside of that connectedness tend to lose focus and underperform.
By now, it should be obvious that a lack of employee engagement is detrimental to your business. If you aim to keep your business moving forward and your employees happy, immediate action is required.
You don’t have to go at this alone. If the problems above are affecting the growth of your company and you need more ideas for improving employee engagement and productivity in the workplace, brainstorm with a PointMan™.