Your business uses technology for everything. From email to point of sale to bookkeeping to communication - technology is involved. The problem is, technology, or IT, isn’t what you do. It’s what you use, but not what you like to manage.
Running a business is hard enough, let alone managing all the technological pieces. In today’s world, IT is integral to the success of a business, but too often, business leaders wear the hat of a Chief Information Officer, among all the other hats they wear, and it causes their business to suffer.
What you need is a Virtual CIO (vCIO).
A vCIO bridges the gap between business goals and the IT infrastructure necessary to help you reach those goals. A vCIO does all the same work as a traditional CIO but at a fraction of the cost and is often a better fit for small-to-medium-sized businesses.
In order to set your business, and a vCIO, up for success, you need to consider the following:
- Define your business goals and growth trajectory for the next 2-3 years to determine your capacity for hiring a vCIO.
- An IT Manager can help put a bandaid on basic IT issues, but you’ll want a vCIO if you’re planning for growth.
- A great vCIO can help with business planning, technology expertise, security, and disaster management - so place a great deal of value in a candidate’s experience when selecting a vCIO.
TRAITS OF A GREAT vCIO
When searching for a vCIO you need to consider their strengths in the following areas:
- A great vCIO needs to help you plan and budget for your future technology needs to ensure that the business grows with the customer.
- They should creatively think about ways technology can help achieve and support the business plan while staying flexible enough to change direction as your business experiences new and unique challenges.
- Technology can be expensive and you don’t want to find yourself attached to outdated technology or anything that doesn’t help solve your long-term business goals.
- A great vCIO is forward-thinking and on the cutting edge when it comes to understanding what technologies are coming and how they can provide your business with a competitive edge.
Security & Disaster Planning & Management
- Cybersecurity is crucial for your business. A great vCIO will help create and drive a culture of security awareness and actively manage any security situations that arise.
- A vCIO is not just a great technology investment for businesses that are ready for it but a great leadership investment that can help propel your company to the next level.
If you are interested in learning how a vCIO can transform your business, talk to a Lazorpoint expert. Our Lazorpoint experts We can help you better understand how a vCIO can provide you with the expertise needed for your business to reach new heights.